Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Generation Gap


My mum's childhood: around 1940s.
My childhood: around 1970s.
My kids' childhood: now - 2000s.
The time gap between each generation is approximately 30 years.

My mum's childhood life was bad as the Japanese invaded our country and war broke out. It was chaotic everywhere. For better food supply, my mum, her sister and her mum (my grandmother) moved to Kedah from Johor. Kedah was famous for it's padi field hence easier to get rice supply.

My childhood life was not so bad. The country, after gaining independence in 1957 had achieved good progress and reasonable development. Other than the racial riot in 1970, the country in general was safe and peaceful.

My kids' childhood life is good. The country has progressed further and all races live in harmony. Globalization also ensure goods from oversea are easily obtainable here. Other than the recently dramatic sagas in local political arena, life is in general good and peaceful.

My mum did not go through proper formal education. The education system was bad and most people could not afford it. Through some night classes (not sure who organized this) she managed to pick up Mandarin hence is able to read Chinese newspaper. She had no chance to learn Malay and English language though.

I had the chance to go through full primary, secondary and tertiary education. The education system was commendable and it was quite common for the general public to attend to formal school. However I did not have any pre-school education as it was not common. The first tuition class I attended was when I was in secondary school.

My kids now, aged 9 and 3, both attended ( the younger one still attending) pre-school education. The elder sibling attended K1 and K2 before she was enrolled into the Primary school. The younger sibling is attending nursary school now at the tender age of 3. Tuition classes become almost compulsory now even for primary school students.

My mum started working at a young age. Infrastructure was bad. There was no entertainment like TV and radio. Cars were far too unaffordable.

Other than some part time job during long school holiday, I did not need to work to support the family. The infrastructure was not bad. There were radio, black and white TV and house phone later on. My dad/mum owned a small car. We got to go places like cinema and super market.

My kids nowadays get to enjoy good infrastructure. The entertainment available is varied and awsome. There are gameboy, PS3, Wii, LCD TV, blue-ray disc player, iPod, computers, sophisticated hand phone. Cars are affordable and shopping malls can be seen everywhere.

The difference between each generation is that distinct. Imagine what would be the childhood lifestyle of my grand children approximately 30 years from now......

No comments:

Post a Comment

您的留言,让此部落格活色生香。。。。
Your comment will brighten up the blog here....

Life's Sayings

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life, it goes on. (Robert Frost)

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give. (Winston Churchill)