Saturday, May 22, 2010

Remarkable Google


I remember when I started using Internet search engine, my preference was clear and it was Yahoo search engine. I do not quite know what were the main reasons but I guess it must be due to the popularity of Yahoo at that time. The Yahoo home page was well organized with news headlines complete with nice images and sometimes, video clips. We could do leisure surfing and find out what’s new and what’s cool at that time.

Over the years, Google was slowly but surely overtaking Yahoo in terms of popularity. Today, I find that the products and services that Google provides really are remarkable. Without realizing it, I am now actually using quite a number of services provided by Google.

I first tried out Google search engine when my secondary school mates set up a Google Group to enable the old boys to share and communicate with a common platform. After that I started using Blogger to blog, then later I signed up for a Gmail account. Google search become my default home page and I love the degree of customization that the user can do with the I-Google. I almost totally stop using my Streamyx’s e-mail account, as the G-mail is so convenient and reliable.

Other Google services that I am using now include Picasa Web, You-tube, Library, Docs, Alerts, Android, and Reader.

One point worth mentioning that I believe has huge potential to spur further growth of Google is the open concept adopted by Google and also a concept called cloud computing where all the programs and user’s data are not stored in the user’s PC, instead they are stored in Google’s online servers hence are accessible from anywhere in the world with Internet access.

Other than the Android phone that I have to pay for the phone, all other services are free of charge at the moment.

The only concern that I may have of using too much Google services are that if Google is to charge for the services (then we will have to pay for them), and if Google’s servers are severely corrupted then all our online data might be lost.

Technology, if suitably adopted and utilized, could actually make our life much better.

Note: I still consider Yahoo as an excellent Search Engine but my personal preference now is undoubtedly Google’s package.

3 comments:

  1. 韋于倫成,
    只要有心,一切皆美。。。。:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the minimalist design of www.google.com.

    You are probably aware that my blog has minimalist design too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. khengsiong,
    I like minimalist theme, too. However the choice to customize is always there....

    ReplyDelete

您的留言,让此部落格活色生香。。。。
Your comment will brighten up the blog here....

Life's Sayings

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life, it goes on. (Robert Frost)

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give. (Winston Churchill)